When you woke up this morning what were the top things on your ‘must do these today’ list? Mine went something like this:
Get the kids to school (preferably dressed and fed) – Check
Put a weeks worth of washing away (there’s 4 of us, believe me if i could employ someone to do it for me i would) – Check
Make something reasonably balanced and ‘not full of shit’ for tea that the mini dictators might actually eat. – Check (we had Quorn Spag Bol with Veg (no one under the age of 29 ate any veg))
Go to college/work/that thing that earns you the money to buy said semi-balanced dinner – Check
Pick all the children up at the correct time – VERY IMPORTANT!- Check
Exercise – do more cardio than yesterday, yesterday you flaked out and just did weights. – Ummm currently at the time of writing, not check
You get the drift though…working out, whether its a priority or not, normally always drifts down to the bottom of the list. That’s life.
Wouldn’t it be lovely to have nothing more important in our day than to go to the gym for 90 minutes, with a mixture of cardio and resistance in there, followed by some core and flexibility work, nicely rounded off with a suitable cool down. For the majority of us it’s just not feasible. So what can we do to make sure we’re doing it ‘right’?
- Drink Water. Lots and Lots of Water. Try and aim for 3L a day. Sounds like a lot but if you have a pint at Breakfast, Lunch and Tea then you’re half way there already! Water is essential to overall well being. Ditch the sugary drinks and get your hydration on!
- Eat Breakfast. It’s the biggest mistake that people make. After being asleep your metabolism is really slow, so if you get up and don’t put anything in your body then it slows down more, so when you do eat (eventually), your body just holds in to that food and stores it as fat.
- Don’t eat rubbish at night time. I know for me, this i where i fall down. The girls go to bed, and I eat a family bar size of chocolate. Except then i’m easily adding at least 500 calories to my diet every day. Not bloody rocket science to why i’m not loosing any weight. So cut down on the crap – even just two days a week!
- Exercise. Yeah, it was going to come up at some point, sorry! 20-30 mins a day. Even just 3 days a week. Buy a DVD (an exercise one), Go on Pinterest and look up a workout, go for a walk, or a run, hell go to the gym if you want! But do something. The biggest thing i hear is ‘I’ve not got time’. I’m going to call bullshit on that, I bet that for 20 minutes a day you don’t do much? Or you watch crap tv. Whilst eating something bad. Well, instead of watching TV and eating chocolate why don’t you do some exercise.
- Don’t blow it every weekend. The only way to see real, consistent change is to be consistent. Being good all week and then getting drunk every weekend or having takeout and bingeing won’t help in the long run. Eventually you will plateau. The BEST thing you can do is to just choose healthier options, every day. Don’t deny yourself anything, just font eat pizza and family bars of chocolate every day. Diet is KEY in loosing weight, and being healthy, the training comes second to that, always.
And MOST IMPORTANTLY, stop being so hard on yourself. You’re killing it. Every single day. You probably have more than one child, you go to work, you keep your house tidy (for the most part), your children are loved and fed, you are knocking it out of the park, believe me.